Today, Huisman, the worldwide provider of step changing technical solutions, announces that it has been awarded a contract from DEME for the delivery of a 1,600mt Leg Encircling Crane (LEC), to increase the lifting capacity of DEME’s jack-up vessel Sea Installer by 700mt.
DEME will upgrade its DP2 jack-up vessel Sea Installer with the installation of this new Huisman crane. After the upgrade the vessel will be capable of installing the next generation offshore wind turbines for the 800 MW Vineyard Wind 1 project, one of the first large-scale offshore wind farms in the US.
Huisman will replace the Sea Installer’s current 900mt crane with a 1,600mt LEC, increasing the lifting capacity by 700mt, yet with a limited weight impact on the vessel. Huisman LEC cranes are characterised by their lightweight, yet robust crane designs, with a high level of reliability, positioning accuracy and energy efficiency. The new LEC has a 140m long boom, capable of reaching close to 160 metres above main deck, making this Huisman crane ideal for the construction of tomorrow’s offshore wind farms. The crane will be delivered to DEME from the Huisman facility in Schiedam, the Netherlands.
David Roodenburg, CEO of Huisman: “We are very proud to have been awarded this contract by DEME, and are thankful for the trust placed in Huisman to replace the existing crane. This upgrade underlines our shared ambition to use our knowledge and expertise to install the next generation of wind turbines as efficiently as possible. We look forward to help maximising the Sea Installer’s performance on the prestigious Vineyard project in the US.”
Features & benefits of the Huisman Leg Encircling Crane
- A fully electrically driven system, resulting in high positioning accuracy, efficient energy use, reduced maintenance and high reliability.
- In-house developed slew bearing system, providing highly reliable and accurate positioning of the crane.
- The boom’s unique design makes it stiff and lighter in weight.
- Stiff construction of the shaped boom leading to reduced motion at the crane tip.
- Small tail swing allowing for optimised utilisation of free deck space.
- A robust, proven design of the LEC 65500-1600 model.