Supplying parts for the offshore installation of pipelines since the 1980’s, LUC can be considered as one of the pioneers in developing special PU grades for rollers and tensioner pads used in all kind of pipe handling and laying equipment.
There are many applications for polyurethane and rubber parts in the oil & gas industry, both offshore and onshore. The main areas for the products of LUC are:
- Handling and laying equipment for rigid pipe, flexibles and cable (this includes rollers for stingers, pipe conveyors, spooling
equipment; friction pads, spring blocks for tensioners and clamping devices)
- Pipe coating equipment
- Umbilical and flexible manufacturing sites
- Spool and bundle bases
- Pipe inspection and maintenance
LUC can offer a broad range of high-performance materials for these applications, where each individual material will have a special set of properties making it the optimum solution for its intended use.
For high (dynamic) loads:
- High load bearing capacity
- Low heat buildup due to high rotational speeds
- Very low rolling resistance
- Low wear and long-term fatigue
- Excellent resistance against (sub)marine environment
For high friction:
- High friction, optimized for specific applications (various pipe coatings, contact pressures)
- Optimized compressive behavior
For high temperatures and harsh (chemical) environment:
- Temperature resistance up to 180°C
- Resistance to alkaline and acidic conditions, including concentrated acids and lye’s at high temperatures
- Resistance to organic solvents and mineral oils
In order to determine which material is the best suitable or to qualify a selected material for an application, LUC has in-house test facilities available, including friction test equipment.